Discover and KaBOOM! have partnered for over 10 years to bring 23 new playgrounds to local communities.
For the second year in a row, nearly 200 Discover corporate finance employees, along with 60 community volunteers, came together to build a playground at Hayt Elementary School in the Edgewater neighborhood in Chicago. The volunteers built a 3,400 square foot playground that will serve the 1,000 students at the school, plus an additional 1,000 students in the neighborhood, who also have access to the playground.
Some highlights from the event include:
· Building a playground with 4 swings, 3 slides, a zip line and a giant spinner
· Mixing 38,100 pounds of concrete
· Building and planting 8 planter boxes
· Building 13 benches, 2 bike racks, 2 picnic tables and 2 trash containers
Another 400 Discover marketing employees partnered with KaBOOM! for the fifth consecutive year to build a playground in Park City, IL. Employees took a break from their regular jobs to build a 5,850 square foot playground that will serve 2,300 children! Some highlights from the event include:
· Mixing more than 38,400 pounds of concrete
· Painting and refreshing a basketball court, fence, and soccer goals
· Building 14 benches, a bocce court, 12 picnic tables, a little library, sensory
play area, and an arbor with more than 50 pounds of nails
· Installing a tetherball, grill, four trees and bike rack
Discover volunteers have built more than 20 playgrounds over the years! We feel that by providing a safe place for our youth to learn and grow, we are helping empower them to achieve a brighter future.